Monday, July 21, 2008

Baudelaire Beginnings

Last night at work I was used as a sitter. Can you believe paying an RN with 21 years experience to sit with a confused Alzheimer's patient in the CCU? They really didn't need me in the ER and the CCU didn't need me either except that I held more experience than the 3 other nurses put together. But I am a pool nurse and can be told where to go and what to do. So I accepted the position of sitter and aide to CCU for the last 8 hours of my shift. Guess what you can do for 8 hours while watching a confused patient sleep and helping him up to the chair, back to bed, up to the chair, bed, chair, bed....KNIT!! I finished my first Baudelaire sock and listened to 4 episodes of Lime and Violet. It was a long night but productive for knitting. How many people get paid full wages to sit and knit for 8 hours? I did a little search for stretchy bind offs because I can't stand the Sewn Bind offs (fiddly) and found this one on Grumperina's website. I have permission to use it here.






Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if it was a purl), * repeat between *.


I have learned many things from her website and this is just another one! If you need to cable, check out her site to learn how to do it without a needle. I love it!!!







This is a really nice bind off with a nice edge. I think it went well with my sock. I really like these socks. Socks that I like I finish quickly and this first one only took 3 days thanks to an ideal night last night. I haven't cast on the second one but believe me I will. I just need to get back to Casablanca before I get too far behind in that one!!










I think the cables and lace make these socks really sexy. I can't wait to work on the next one. I'm even planning to do a pair of monkey socks after all the talk about those! I like the lacey stuff!

No comments: